About This Blog:

On my main blog I try use humor with the goal of depicting my thoughts in a way that will entertain the reader. On this blog I write my thoughts without any goal in mind.

I would suggest not reading further.


Monday, March 9, 2009

Grandpa

About 7 or 8 years ago I was sitting with my grandpa in his family room. He told me he had lived a good life. He was proud of his children and grandchildren. He sighted how many of them were “walking with the Lord.” He told me that he was ready to go.

“Now, I’m living a sedentary life.”

I looked at him with a confused expression. He asked, “Do you know what that means?” I did not.

Sedentary:
1. Staying in one or the same place
2. Characterized by or requiring sitting or slight movement

Up until this last year I went out to visit them every summer. Every time I left I wondered if it would be the last time I saw him. Ever since that conversation whenever I wrote my grandparents for a holiday or to send a thank you note I always said something like this:

I appreciate how you raised my mother. I’m happy with the values I was taught in my own upbringing. Thanks for thinking of me again. I love you guys.

That way no matter when he died the last thing I said to him was: Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate how I was raised and I love you.

Grandpa died this morning.

He was proud of his family and happy with the way he had lived. He was ready to go. He was living a sedentary life.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Carlos, you are so right. If anyone has ever been ready to go home, it was Grandpa. We watched our wedding video this morning because I wanted to hear his voice. I loved hearing him say "Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

    Oh, and it was fun to hear you do our poem again too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us, hope we see you this week. Dustin

    ReplyDelete