About This Blog:

On my main blog I try use humor with the goal of depicting my thoughts in a way that will entertain the reader. On this blog I write my thoughts without any goal in mind.

I would suggest not reading further.


Monday, August 29, 2011

A Possible Beginning Strategy

I just had a girlfriend ask me to e-mail her some poker strategy for her game with her boyfriend on Wednesday night. She didn't know if it was a cash game or tournament and estimated 6-10 players. So I typed out and e-mail for her, and I thought I would share it here too. It gives you a place to start if you are fairly new to poker.

I told her to read this first just so she would understand the e-mail.

Preflop strategy:

If your not on the blind you will always be able to choose to either call, fold, or raise. If your hand has a 2,3 or 4 in it fold (even if your other card is high). So don't play K3. Also usually, fold hands with a 5, 6, or 7. If both your cards are 8 and higher you can probably go with it.

If you raise pick an amount and always raise that amount. For example the blinds are 5 cents and 10cents. So you either call the 10cents or raise to 30. If you raise to 30 with a lot of different hands then they won't be able to know you only raise with hands like AA.

I would choose the raise to be 3 times whatever the big blind is.

I would raise with all of the following hands: and two cards queen and higher (ex: AQ, QK, AK, KK) pairs ten or higher (TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA) and any suited cards that are 8 or higher (As8s, KhJh...) That way you have some variety in what you are raising with.

If someone raises before you act. Then you have to tighten up significantly and only play if you are really strong.

Post-flop:

If you make a good hand always bet it, and sometimes bet it even if you don't. For example you have KJ and the flop comes KT7. That is a great flop. Make sure you bet. Typically a good bet on the flop is about half of whatever is in the pot.

Bluffing:

Choose your bluffs when there are less players involved. You're more likely to get one or two people to fold than 4 or 5.

Don't Show:
Don't show your cards or tell the other players what you had. It is fun and friendly when everyone is doing this, but it will give them information about you. So if you bet and they all fold throw your cards in face down and happily scoop in your pot (regardless of the size of it). If they ask you what you had you can reply something like "I forgot" or "You'll have to pay to see."

Have fun.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! It gives me a bit more to go on, than my usual 'by the gut' play. =)

    ReplyDelete