About This Blog:

On my main blog I try use humor with the goal of depicting my thoughts in a way that will entertain the reader. On this blog I write my thoughts without any goal in mind.

I would suggest not reading further.


Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sales Tax

I recently went to Subway to take advantage of their $5 footlongs, "any footlong." My sandwich came to $5.41. A couple days later I had a Subway club sandwich and it was exactly $5.00. I questioned, "$5, even?"

"You got a Subway club, not toasted, right?"

They are charging sales tax if it is toasted. Why? Is it considered groceries if it isn't toasted? Is there sales tax on groceries?

Next time they ask you, "Would you like that toasted?" know they are asking, "Would you like that toasted so you can pay more for your sandwich, not that we are really charging you more, you're paying the government more because you want your sandwich toasted?"

2 comments:

  1. I think it's the same reason some times they charge tax if it is for here, but not if it is to go. Certain foods are not taxed if they are considered a food staple, but if you eat it there (or get it toasted) then it is considered food service, which is taxable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Here or To Go: California's Sales Tax for Food Products Demystified... SortaSome claim you may ask for your food "to go" at any establishment, and they are required by law to let you leave the premises with it and not be charged sales tax.

    These are probably the same people who claim that, since taxes are never mentioned in the Constitution, the IRS is a terrorist organization...

    ReplyDelete