About This Blog:

On my main blog I try use humor with the goal of depicting my thoughts in a way that will entertain the reader. On this blog I write my thoughts without any goal in mind.

I would suggest not reading further.


Saturday, October 27, 2012

Another Day at the Office

Throughout the playoffs I've been keeping my students abreast on the Giants' progress. A couple of them have even told me they watched the games just for me. They knew I went to game 2 of the World Series on Thursday. Friday at the beginning of 4th period a couple of them asked me about the game.

I decided to respond to the question. I briefly described our frantic route trying to get to the game on time. Then the missed cutoff throw, but still relayed to get Fielder at home. Suddenly I found myself drawing a picture of baseball diamond on the front white board as I described the Blanco bunt staying fair. I even ran down the rows in my classroom giving high fives simulating me running down the aisle the night before in section 315.

Somehow I ended up standing on a chair in front of my class with the door open yelling about the outside pitches that Hunter Pence took for called strikes. I look out the door and see down the hall one of my students from another class had just stopped and was looking in the class, curious about the commotion. Then I see a parent walk by so I start yelling, "The absolute value of x is five! Yes five!" Now, I'm laughing. My kids are laughing.

We close the door so I can continue my story. Just as Pence delivers a huge sacrifice fly a student aid from the office walks into the classroom to deliver a call slip to me.

With me still standing on the chair at a volume louder than normal it sounded something like this, "Then the runner comes in from, Absolute value of x is five. Algebra. Math. X."

The office aid leaves. The class laughs. I ask, "Where were we?" One my girls in the 2nd row says, "Hold on Mr. Burrill. Let me catch my breath."

Romo closed the door and we won 2-0. The rest of the class we went ahead and worked on math.


1 comment:

  1. I want a like button for this post. I can totally picture it!

    ReplyDelete